Three Farmers on Their Way to a Dance
[Note on the uncorrected galley proofs: tan wraps; postcard photo by Sander laid in. 452 p. Advance reading copy cover.]
Powers writes: It really took me back to see the picture of this one. My first, back when I didn’t even know that there was such a thing as a bound galley. I remember they were very proud of running that photo on the front; this was back before the big trend of making fancy bound readers copies that look almost like a finished paperback.
Although these galleys were far and away the roughest I’ve ever had (not a page without errors), there are no substantial textual differences of any kind. The pagination difference resulted from the bound galley coming directly from the uncut long galley pages, so that there are endless half-pages of text, reset for the final.
- Three Farmers on Their Way to a Dance. NY: Beech Tree/Morrow, 1985. 352 p. Designed by Ellen Lo Giudice; jacket design by Cheryl Asherman. (ISBN: 0688042015.)
- Three Farmers on Their Way to a Dance. NY: McGraw-Hill, 1987. 457 p. (ISBN: 0070506086 mass market pbk.) Cover.
- Three Farmers on Their Way to a Dance. London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1988. (ISBN: 0297792733.)
- Three Farmers on Their Way to a Dance. London: Penguin, 1989. (ISBN: 0140119574 (pbk.).)
- Three Farmers on Their Way to a Dance. NY: HarperPerennial, 1992. (ISBN: 0060975091 (pbk.).) Note: reissued 2001 with new cover, same ISBN, with statement: “Reprinted in Perennial 2001.” Cover design by Eric Fuentecilla.
- Op Weg Naar Een Dansfeest. Amsterdam/Antwerp: Veen Uitgevers, 1991. 351 p. (ISBN: 90-204-2513- 7.) Translated by Frank van Dixhoorn. Reprinted by Pandora, 1995.
- Tre Contadini Che Vanno a Ballare. Turin, Italy: Bollati Boringhieri, 1991 (ISBN: 88-339- 0630-2.) 3F translated as Tre Contadini Che Vanno a Ballare, by Luigi Schenoni for Bollati Boringhieri (Turin) 1991. Design: Pierluigi Cerri.
- Op Weg Naar Een Dansfeest. Amsterdam/Antwerp: Pandora, 1995 (ISBN: 90-254-5618-9.) Reprint of 1991 Veen edition.
- Three Farmers On Their Way to a Dance. [Japanese]. Japan: Misuzu Shobo, 2000. 415 p. ISBN: 4622045176. Translated by Motoyuki Shibata. (see listing on amazon.jp for more info.)
- Trois fermiers s’en vont au bal. France: Le Cherche-midi Editeur, April 2004. 500 p. (ISBN : 2749102278) Translated by Jean-Yves Pellegrin.
- Three Farmers On Their Way To a Dance. London: Atlantic, 2010. (ISBN: 9781848871403) Cover design: Ghost; Cover photograph: August Sander. Cover
- Drei Bauern auf dem Weg zum Tanz. Frankfurt, Germany: Fischer, August 2011. 464 p. (ISBN : 3100590260) Translated by Henning Ahrens. Cover
Awards and Special Recognition for Three Farmers:
Rosenthal Award from the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters
Special Citation, PEN Hemingway Award
Finalist, National Book Critics Circle Award